Saturday, October 1, 2011

And the winner is.....someone else!

About a month ago I got the crazy idea to enter the Mezzetta "Make that Sandwich" contest. I'm not sure why - it just seemed like a fun thing to do. I have never created a recipe totally from the ground up; I've always just modified other people's recipes to my liking and called it good. But this time, this recipe, is all my own. Actually, I do have to give some of the credit to my co-worker Peggy who gave me a jumping off point for the sandwich recipe and I went from there. I assured her that if I won the $25,000 grand prize (and a trip to the Napa Valley) I would make a substantial donation to her favorite cause- the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.
It took me about a week to tweak my recipe to my satisfaction and I had a number of different taste testers who assured me I had a "winner." I confidently sent in my recipe and waited with anticipation until Sept 23 when they would announce the winners and I would get my grand prize-winning phone call. Well, the 23rd has come and gone and no one has called or written to inform me of my big winnings and I just checked the Mezzetta's web site to find the names and photos of the winners, so I guess it's safe to say I won't be making any hefty donations or paying off my credit cards and taking a long-awaited vacation to Tuscany.
That being said, I did enjoy coming up with a dish that's all my own. And now, I can go ahead and share it with you. Enjoy!
Mediterranean Mash up Wrap
1 6 oz container of plain Greek yogurt
3 T Napa Valley Bistro Basil Pesto
1 cup Mezzetta's Italian Mix Giardiniera, chopped
3/4 cup Mezzetta's Roasted Red Bell Peppers, chopped
1/2 cup Mezzetta's Sun-ripened Dried tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup red grapes, halved
1 deli rotisserie roasted chicken breast, shredded
1/2 bag spring mix
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 Flat-Out Light Sundried Tomato wraps
For the dressing
Combine 1 6 oz container of plain Greek yogurt and 3 tbsp of Napa Valley Bistro Basil Pesto. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
Prepare the filling
1. Roughly chop the Giardiniera, red bell peppers and sundried tomatoes
2. Halve the red grapes.
3. Using two forks or your fingers, shred the chicken breast.
To assemble the sandwich
1. Spread 2 tbsps of yogurt/basil dressing on a sundried tomato wrap
2. Place about 1/2 cup of spring mix on top of dressing.
3. Top spring mix with 1 tbsp chopped giardiniera, 1 tbsp chopped red pepper, 1 tbsp chopped sun dried tomato.
4. Top chopped vegetables with 2-3 tbsp of shredded chicken.
5. Top chicken with 1 tbsp of sliced grapes.
6. Top with 1/2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese.
7. Roll sandwich tightly and slice on the diagonal.

No comments:

Post a Comment