Friday, April 27, 2012

Eating my Way Through the Napa Valley

Although I've done a lot of cooking this trip, I did also manage to get out to try some new restaurants, as well as take in a couple of old favorites. 
My trip to Napa would be incomplete without a visit to Bottega Napa Valley, Chef Michael Chiarello's restaurant in Yountville. After a less than stellar experience there two years ago (the food was fantastic, the service was not) I was a bit nervous about returning since again, I would be dining alone (which seemed to throw my server for a loop two years ago). I'm happy to report that my server this time, Christopher, knew exactly how to strike the right level of service - attentive but not cloying - and I had a delightful dining experience. The food, as usual, was fantastic. This time I had the polenta under glass, which was so good I just wanted to take a bath in it. I don't know how something that's basically the consistency and texture of Cream of Wheat can be so good but it is. I also had the Red Wheat Tagliarini Bolognese with veal, pork & porcini mushroom sugo, rosemary, parmigiano reggiano. I even splurged and had dessert - Gelati del giorno, which is a frozen custard with honey and bee pollen. All in all, a most satisfactory meal. Unfortunately, Chef Chiarello wasn't in the house that evening, but it was a wonderful experience nonetheless. 
On Sunday afternoon I had lunch at the Bounty Hunter in downtown Napa. I had my doggie dining companion, Porter, with me, so we had lunch outside at a small bistro table outside the restaurant. I had a nice Caesar salad which I ended up sharing with Porter (who knew dogs liked lettuce?). 
Monday night I decided to head down to La Taquiza, a Mexican restaurant that specializes in fish tacos. I had the Tacos Taquiza which is a taco filled with potatoes and fish and then deep fried. That was my one deep fried indulgence while I was here. 
Tuesday night is Locals Night at the Oxbow Market in downtown Napa. The big draw for that evening is the locals special at Gott's Roadside (which was formerly Taylor's Refresher). Typically, burgers are in the $8-$9 range but on Tuesday night a cheeseburger is half price and an order of fries is just $2. The burger was juicy and just a bit pink on the inside and topped with lettuce and tomato. Nothing fancy, just a great all around burger. The fries were thin cut and crispy but not greasy. Another great meal. 
I traveled to Yountville again Wednesday evening for dinner at Redd Wood  with my daughter-in-law Sarah's boss Luann.Redd Wood is the more casual offering of Chef Richard Reddington, who also owns the Michelin-starred Redd. Redd Wood specializes in wood burning oven pizzas and fresh pastas. I had the potato gnocchi with duck leg, rosemary, olive and pancetta. The gnocchi were so light and fluffy it was like eating a potato marshmallow. The duck meat was very rich, in fact, almost too rich for my taste and I wasn't able to finish the entire plate. 
On Thursday I was back in Yountville again, this time to get some fried chicken from Addendum, the cute little walk-up counter behind Thomas Keller's restaurant ad hoc. I had read so many reviews about the to-die-for friend chicken that I just had to give it a try. The little place is only open Thursday through Saturday 11am-2pm and from what I had read, people stand in long lines for this chicken. When I got there on Thursday at 11:20, there was no one in line and I walked right up to the counter and placed my order to go (since I had my doggie dining companion in the car and didn't want to risk eating at the picnic tables that dot the property). Five minutes later I was handed a brown bag filled with three pieces of chicken, a small side of potato salad, a small side of collard greens and a piece of cornbread. I drove quickly back home and dived into the chicken. This was the best fried chicken I have ever tasted. I wanted to dip myself in the batter and fry myself, it was that good. The secret to the chicken is the lemon brine that the chicken soaks in overnight. I did find the recipe online so I'm certainly going to have to see if I can replicate that chicken at home. 
After all these great meals I'm sure when I step on the scale at home on Sunday I won't be happy with what it reads, but you know what, that's okay. After all, foodie opportunities like this don't come along every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment