Sunday, May 20, 2012

Let the Cooking Begin from my Bountiful Basket

Yesterday, I used two items from my basket. The first were the lemons and, of course, I used them to make lemon bars (see recipe in a previous post). Juicing and zesting the lemons reminded me of my trip to Napa and how much I enjoyed just being able to walk out the back door to a lemon tree.

At lunch time, instead of my customary sandwich, I decided to try something different and looked into my pantry and fridge to see what I had on hand. In the pantry I found the one staple families with teenagers can't live without - ramen noodles. In the fridge I found a package of Lois Kemp Krab chunks (that's right, crab with a "K", as I like to call it as opposed to real crab with a "C") and there was a cucumber in my Bountiful Basket so I thought perhaps I could put together some kind of pseudo-Asian Krab salad using the ramen noodles instead of lettuce. I came up with this "Krab and Cucumber Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette" after tweaking the recipe on the back of the Lois Kemp package. Although the recipe serves two, I ate the entire thing and I didn't even feel very guilty about it, since it was relatively healthy.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons soy sauce (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons sesame oil

1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1 8-oz package Lois Kemp Krab chunks
1 package of ramen noodles, cooked per instructions
In a medium bowl whisk together the first four ingredients then slowly whisk in the sesame oil and sesame seeds. Gently toss in the cucumber, Krab, and ramen nodles until coated. Add more soy sauce to taste. Can be served warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment