Sunday, September 28, 2014

Welcome Back

Welcome back to my blog. It's been a long time. What started out as a brief break from blogging turned into a long vacation. I never lost my passion for food and cooking, what I lost was my passion for writing about it. No - that's not an entirely true statement. I never lost my passion. What I lost was my confidence that what I was writing could compete with the thousands of cooking blogs that had cropped up since I started my blog way back in the prehistoric times of 2010. I was just overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of folks writing about food and I just didn't feel like I measured up anymore, which was a ridiculous way to feel since I didn't start writing my blog because I thought it was going to gain me fame or fortune. I wrote it because I wanted to share with people my love of food and cooking.

 Perhaps a little bit of it had to do with the fact that over the last three years I felt like I was drowning at work and what little energy I had left over at the end of the day I had to reserve in order to be a half-way decent human being at home and also try not to lose the few friends I do have. So spending any amount of time writing a blog seemed like a waste of a precious resource.

 Things have changed in my work life and I now have a job I enjoy, it's rewarding and I just feel better about myself and life in general. So, I figured it was time to dust off the old keyboard and resurrect Confessions of a Foodie. While my content will remain the same, I thought my blog needed a new look and even a new title. "Living the Betty Crocker Life" is a tribute to my mother, who really did live the Betty Crocker life as a stay-at-home mom raising my brother and I in the 60s/70s. Whether she truly enjoyed her life and felt fulfilled in her role as a 'domestic engineer' is something I will never know for sure. My mom passed away in 1979, the year I graduated from high school, and I will never be able to ask her that question. I like to think that she enjoyed taking care of our family and took pleasure and pride in putting home-cooked meals on the table every day, much as I enjoy cooking for my family and friends and living my own modern Betty Crocker life. Sheila Belle Hancock Morancy - thank you for devoting your life to making sure our family was well-fed and well taken care of and for teaching and showing me the joy that can come from time spent in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment