Saturday, September 10, 2011

Summer's End Lasagna

Even though last Monday, Labor Day, marked the end of summer (to most people), I am firmly in the camp of those who refuse to concede that summer is over until the first frost arrives- or at least until the early morning temperatures are in the 40s. As I write this, I'm sitting in my Adirondack chair in the backyard, listening to my fountains gurgling water and watching the sparrows flocking to my bird feeders. The sprinkler is on in my garden, watering my tomato and pepper plants which are still producing profusely every day. And I'm also sweating - even though it's only 11 am. So for me, summer is definitely still here.
To celebrate the "end of summer" last Monday, I put together a summer lasagna, full of veggies from the garden. My friend Anna had given me her recipe a while back and I took that and modified it until I ended up with my own version. Sadly, I have no photograph to show you how wonderful it looked when it was finished. I don't know what happened to my photo, I'm sure I took one but I can't find it, so you'll just have to make the recipe yourself to see the end result.
This is one of those recipes that falls firmly into the category of weekend cooking, because it's very time intensive to get ingredients chopped and the lasagna assembled.
So celebrate the passing of summer with this great lasagna recipe. You'll be wishing summer would never end.
Summer's End Lasagna 
Ingredients
1 container of store-bought pesto
1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
6 cooked lasagna noodles.
Tomato/Sausage sauce
1 lb of sweet Italian sausage
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced eggplant
1 cup diced zucchini
½ small red pepper seeded and diced
½ small yellow pepper seeded and diced
½ red onion, diced
2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
2 clove garlic, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
28 fl. oz.can whole tomatoes
5 oz can of tomato paste
1 teaspoon of sugar
1. Heat olive oil on medium-high in a large skillet . Add sausage meat and cook until just browned, about 7 minutes. Remove cooked sausage from the pan and set aside, leaving the oil in the pan.
2. Add eggplant, zucchini, peppers and onion to the pan and cook until just beginning to soften, then add the garlic, chopped basil and red pepper flakes. Cook for two minutes.
3. Add can of whole tomatoes and break tomatoes up with with a wooden spoon. Add tomato paste and stir until combined. Simmer tomato sauce for about 10 minutes. Season sauce with sugar and salt and pepper to taste.

To assemble the Lasagna
Place a thin layer of pesto on the bottom of a 8x11 glass baking dish (2 quarts). Add a layer of the tomato/sausage sauce, top with some of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and top with 3 lasagna noodles. Repeat layer, (pesto, tomato sausage, cheeses, noodles). Top layer should end with tomato/sausage sauce and  remaining cheeses.
Bake at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes. Let lasagna sit for about 10 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment