Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Indestructible Tervis Tumbler

If your home is like mine, you have an entire kitchen cupboard shelf filled with plastic cups from fast food places and gas stations and insulated tumblers from banks, churches and other places with an advertising budget big enough to buy such things. C'mon, admit it. You know you do. And while my house definitely would not miss five Maverick monster drink cups and McDonald's cups dating all the way back to the Hamburglar, I just can't seem to throw them away. Or when I do, they make a sudden reappearance on the counter a couple of days later.
So when I received my Tervis tumbler as part of a Foodbuzz Tastemaker program with Tervis and read the letter that came with it touting it as "virtually indestructible- they won't crack, melt, shatter or chip and come with a lifetime guarantee" I was a bit skeptical. The good people at Tervis claimed that their double-wall insulation means "hot drinks stay hot, cold drinks stay cold and your furniture stays clear of those annoying condensation rings." With three active dogs in my house, the last thing I'm worrying about with my furniture is condensation rings but I thought what the heck, I'll put the tumbler through its paces.
I'm pleased to report that the Tervis tumbler does exactly as advertised. One day, I filled it with ice and my favorite soda and then, as I often do, I got distracted by some household task that needed doing and I left my tumbler on the kitchen counter. When I returned to it a couple of hours later I found the ice cubs had not melted at all and my drink was still icy cold. Granted, it's not 98 degrees in my kitchen, but I still thought it was pretty neat that my ice cubes hadn't melted at all. On a different day I filled the Tervis tumbler with freshly brewed coffee and, not only did my coffee stay hot in the tumbler, the tumbler itself stayed cool to the touch. I've run the tumbler through numerous dishwashing cycles and, apart from some water stains that are the fault of my dishwasher, the tumbler still looks like new.
According to the Tervis website www.tervis.com the Tervis company has been making its product for 65 years now out of North Venice, Fla., and has a number of stores located in Florida, South Carolina and one in Tennessee. Their products are also available for purchase on the website in a host of different styles, colors, logos and sizes. It's enough to make me want to throw out all my Tervis tumbler impostors. I wonder if they make one featuring the Hamburglar?

No comments:

Post a Comment