Saturday, October 8, 2011

Summer's End Garden Fresh Tomato Soup

Okay tomatoes - you win. I give up. I've made salsa, marina, tomato juice, slapped a slice of tomato on every sandwich I make and still you just keep coming. It's the first week of October and my tomatoes won't quit, despite the low overnight temperatures. I know that when that morning comes and I go outside to find my tomato plants blackened from the frost I will be sad and wishing that we could go back to summer - but right now, all I am is irritated that I still need to find something to do with all these tomatoes.
So, since it's been a bit chilly and rainy the last couple of days, I've been in the mood for soup. One of my favorites is tomato (especially when I have Goldfish crackers to float on top) so I thought I should take a stab at making fresh tomato soup. And how hard could that be, right?
I found one of the simplest recipes possible on Allrecipes.com. Tomatoes, chicken broth, onion, cloves, salt and sugar. That's it. And about a half hour later you have some of the freshest tomato soup ever. No offense Campbells and Progresso, but this tomato soup wins the flavor award hands-down.
I modified the recipe by adding white pepper and some of the fresh basil that is growing out of control in my herb garden and I think it boosts the flavor up a notch or two.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 1 slice onion
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 1 cup of fresh basil, chopped
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste

Directions

  1. Combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves, basil and chicken broth in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and run the vegetable mixture through a Foley food mill into a large bowl.
  2. Melt the butter over medium heat in the empty stockpot. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in some of the soup, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest of the soup. Season with sugar and salt to taste. Makes about 6 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment